Monday, October 19, 2009

My Day in Food 10/18


Bananas are perfect with a little green at the top and bottom and I don't much like them otherwise. True, they are sweeter when spotted, yet with this sweetness comes a flavor I find unpleasant. Kind of ironic no? Here I am, foodie at fifteen, praising complex, developed flavors over their banal, bland counterparts, yet I won't eat bananas unless they are more the latter. That's just the way it is.

I started my day off with a perfect banana and a cup of black coffee- a light breakfast, I try not to eat a lot before I go to Lacroix. At Lacroix I tasted a little salmon tartare (I consider it a privilege to be able to eat raw fish at 9 in the morning) and ate some scraps of grilled cheese with brie, Parmesan and prosciutto.

I tasted this awesome new salad of cauliflower, shitakes (I believe), and golden raisins with a garlic mayo dressing. I also had some panzanella salad with toasted bread, corn, and pepperoni. It's really amazing; you can really see that corn is trailing off. It's not as bright, crunchy, moist as it was. It's the end of something old and the start of something new I guess, and the pumpkin-toffee ice cream that pastry had made was delicious.

I ate some haricot vert salad with fried onions, and a saffron vinaigrette and a duck croissant with apricot mustard. When they switched out the old Malaysian BBQ pork shoulder glazed with char siu, I ate some of that.

I made sure to have some of my favorite dish on the menu- duck confit with yellow corn polenta, pearl onions confited in bacon fat, and cherries. The polenta kinda forms a skin on the outside, creating a kind of contrast in textures. It's really quite wonderful.

At this point, I was really quite full, but I needed a cloying culmination. I nabbed a berry cheesecake off the dessert cart and was satisfied. I didn't eat dinner.

I eat well at Lacroix. I let my day at Lacroix be a day when I eat what I want and don't feel bad for it. So far at least, it seems to work out.

8 comments:

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

A passion expressed well. I LOVE your blog so much I can hardly stand it. Thanks for sharing and when you do have your first restaurant put me down for a table.
All the very best,
Simone

James said...

It's good to know that all the food is tasted & tested.... even after it's gone out :)

Jumper said...

I saute a banana from time to time. Wonder if the preferred-stage-of-ripeness remains the same for cooked vs uncooked.

Mandoline said...

That's amazing. But I bet you're still working hard. Seems like a fair exchange.

Jovian said...

I ate like a queen when working in restaraunts, but it's when you DON'T have the metabolism of a hummingbird that it really strikes at you!

Jumper said...

I learned about using butternut squash for "pumpkin" pie a while ago. That works well. I haven't thought about acorn squash, or even yellow crooknecked squash for pies. That would maybe risk failure on a big scale...

Anonymous said...

You going to nosh like that, you better keep up your training for cross country/track distance events.

Just saying. . .

Amanda said...

Word. I never touch bananas once they turn all yellow, let alone spotted.